Friday, September 24, 2010
Here there be Dragons?
So here it is. My official gaming blog debut. I've been wanting to make one of these for the longest time, but didn't have the foggiest idea on what to discuss. But then it dawned on me, "I've been posting in Dragonsfoot forum for over 6 years so obviously I do have 'something' to discuss". Now whether or not someone even cares is entirely a different matter. *grins*

I was going to start my very first blog on the Autumnal Equinox, as I thought it would be fitting since I got my first taste of Dungeons & Dragons in the fall. It all started after the Thanksgiving Weekend of 1979. I was sitting in my apartment doing pretty much nothing, but watching TV, when a knock came upon my door. I answered it and there was my friend Terry standing there with a big smile on his face and he excitedly asked me, "Hey, do you want to play a real cool game?"

I shrugged my shoulders and said "M'kay. What is it?" He stepped into the hallway, walks past me holding a box under his arm and proceeds to plop it onto the kitchen table. He then opens it and shows me the lid and replies "It's called Dungeons and Dragons! Its a real cool game! I played it with my cousin last weekend and its awesome!"

I furrowed my brow as I held and looked at the box cover, I shrugged my shoulders and said "sure". Saying 'cool' under his breath, Terry continued to pull out some weird looking dice, a crayon, a booklet and handed me some blank lined paper. He then looked at me with a big smile on his face and said "Now write down what I tell you to. Trust me, this is going to be great!"

After going through the rules at a very fast pace, all the while he kept saying "You'll understand when we get to that part", I finally finished my first character. He had me running through Keep on the Borderlands. I died at the entrance by a group of yapping kobolds.

Needless to say, I was hooked.

~ Tarrax
2 Comments:
Blogger James said...
Loving it so far, welcome to the family of bloggers :)

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Happy shiny new blog. :)

There is something captivating about early traumatic death for characters. I started my first game as GM in 1978, and promptly got all my PCs killed in the very first room of the Tomb of Horrors that they entered. They weren't so hooked, but I sure was! (I could tell there was more to it than insta-death, and I needed to figure out how to make that happen.)

Looking forward to your posts here.

Post a Comment